This week is half term, the kids are relaxing, we have seen the Lego movie and consumed some valentine’s chocolate’s. And I have worked on new packaging for my small art brooches and clay necklaces. This seems to be a constant process for me, I’m always wanting to improve both the look and functionality of the packaging. I have learned that the presentation of my work is as important as the initial design and making. I have printed up two designs, both water colours, my work often falls into two styles, one I would describe as folk art in feel the other has a more kitsch or cartoon feel to it, I think the two designs cover these areas of my work quite well. I am also working on new brooch designs for spring. Now I just have to work out why the scanner on my printer has stopped working!! essential to get my new designs onto the computer for printing, Lunch and back to work now.
Preparing Christmas stock, I spent this weekend painting peg dolls and working out several new designs, I am also working on some peg doll kits for customers big and small to get creative with their own ideas. I’m concentrating on smaller designs at the moment, stocking fillers and decorations for shop stock and then I will move on to the larger bespoke items in preparation for Christmas fairs. I like to have a couple of projects on the go at once that way if I am loosing inspiration or getting a little tired with something I can work in another area. This is a great way to take a break from a problem whilst still being creative and usually coming up with a solution at the same time.
So in between peg dolls I have also been working on illustrations for my Christmas cards, I will post about these separately. And whilst drawing I resolved several construction and presentation problems I was having with the peg dolls.
This is a very rough mock-up of a new doll I am designing, I am hoping to have her printed in a kit form, I will offer some ready-made and some with instructions to make your own doll. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time but my stumbling block is how to get them printed and at a reasonable price. My original artwork is on A3 paper and I have no idea how to scan or size this for computer upload or if these could be affordably screen printed. So that is my task at the moment. The picture above shows a hand painted version which I made to check the features were sitting nicely once the doll is sewn up and stuffed, when I make my bespoke cloth dolls I embroider the features on after the doll is stuffed and I can see the shape, making the flat drawing work in 3D is surprisingly difficult, there were a few strange looking creatures before this face!